Thursday, April 5, 2018

Right now

Right now... (an occasional meme, alternating from time to time with "The Current"):

Reading:  I'm currently reading Michael Wolff's "Fire and Fury," about the Trump White House. :)  No huge surprises (yet) -- the biggest bombshells have already been well-publicized, of course, and what might be new information (to me) is not, generally, unsurprising or unexpected.  ;)  

To date, I've finished 5 books (out of my Goodreads 2018 Reading Challenge goal of 24 books).  I've also been trying to tackle my pile of unread magazines, and having some success -- I haven't eliminated the pile entirely, but it's come down to a more reasonable level....! 

Watching:  I missed the first episode of the new reboot of "Roseanne," but watched the second. I was never a huge fan of the old series but I did watch it from time to time, particularly in the early years. Personally, I'm not sure people were watching for the politics (at least, not all of them) -- I think many people watched because they loved the old show and wanted to see the old familiar faces and were curious about what the characters were doing now and how they look (at least some of the ones who have been further off the public radar, like Becky & DJ) and how they have evolved over the past 20 years. (Interesting from an ALI viewpoint that they have Becky involved in a surrogacy plotline.)  ABC has already renewed the series for a second season, based on the huge ratings the first two episodes (aired back to back) received. I guess time will tell if those ratings can be sustained. 

On the big screen: Haven't been to a movie in the theatre lately, but hope to remedy that soon...! 

Listening:  Haven't been listening much lately to any music or podcasts.  

Following:  Several of the leaders from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on social media. I love that they are so incredibly articulate & inspiring -- and yet they are also still kids, talking about the spring musical and homework assignments, making self-deprecating comments about themselves and trading jokes with each other. 

Eating:  Still enjoying my stockpile of Lindor chocolate mini-Easter eggs. :)  Who says Easter chocolate is just for kids, right??  ;)  

Wearing:  We recently took the car to the car wash & gave the inside a thorough vacuuming.  The new lightweight downfilled jacket I bought before Christmas had left the front seat COVERED in feathers, which proved difficult to vacuum up (I eventually had more success with smoothing sections of tape from a lint roller onto the upholstery & then ripping it off). After everything was cleaned up, dh banned my jacket from the car for the rest of the season -- so I've taken to wearing another jacket, a short, tweedy jacket that I recently bought at the Banana Republic factory outlet. It's surprisingly warm but not as as lightweight as the down jacket -- but I'm hoping that I'll soon be switching to something lighter still (if the weather ever warms up enough...!).  (I wrote a review (under a pseudonym) for the store website where I bought the down jacket, expressing my dismay about the feathers... three other women also wrote reviews noting their jackets were shedding feathers too, so it's definitely not just me...!) 

And, if you missed the update I posted in the comments on my recent post about "The dress I left behind me," I went back to the mall this past week. The Dress was still there -- and I bought it. :)  I have no idea when or where I am going to get to wear it, but it's now hanging in my closet. :)  Yay!  :) 

Buying (besides books, lol):  Last minute odds & ends related to Younger Nephew's upcoming wedding:  cosmetics (a new tube of waterproof mascara, pressed powder in a compact (my old one was ancient), new lipstick...), pantihose (ugh -- but I hated how my bare (pale white) legs looked in Older Nephew's wedding photos...!), etc. etc.

And oh yes -- I recently bought theatre tickets for us to see the hit musical "Come From Away" -- the touring production with an all-Canadian cast -- at the Royal Alexandra Theatre in Toronto on our wedding anniversary this summer. :)  (It's about the airline passengers who found themselves stranded in Newfoundland on Sept. 11, 2001.)  Tickets are going fast -- and they were probably the most expensive theatre tickets I've ever bought (gulp) -- and I've been to a Tony award-winning musical on Broadway ("Kinky Boots") -- but the reviews have been fabulous. I can't wait. :)

TryingAn eyebrow primer and conditioner, of all things (!). I have been getting my eyebrows waxed a couple of times a year for years, but over the last several years, I've noticed they are not growing back as quickly, if at all... and my left eyebrow, in particular, has been thinning out in an alarming way. Plus both brows are getting greyer (!), so on the left side, it can look like I hardly have a brow at all. :p  I know it's an aging thing and I'm not alone in this, but it's annoying. :p   I had them both waxed and tinted at Christmastime, to see if it helped at all (at least make what's there show up better, right?), & it did help some, although it didn't quite last as long as I had hoped. I went back to have it done again this past week, in preparation for Younger Nephew's upcoming wedding, and the girl recommended this product. (I also bought a tube of gel, to be used in lieu of pencil, to fill the brows in further.)  She said she was skeptical at first (yeah, sure... ;) ) but she has seen the results with some of her regular clients. So I bought a mini-sized tube to try. Apparently it takes a full month of consistent use to see results -- i.e., no miracles before the wedding -- so we'll see what happens... 

Wanting:  The milder weather to hurry up & get here, already...!  (Preferably in time for Younger Nephew's wedding!) 

Loving:  Sunsets are back!!  :)  Yes, I know the sun sets every night ;)  but during the winter, it seems we don't see as many pretty, colourful sunsets. Maybe we're just not paying attention, or maybe it's because it gets dark so early. At any rate, I am loving the views from our big floor-to-ceiling window. And I am thankful that the townhouse construction behind us does not impede our view of the sky. :)

Rejoicing:  The neighbours across the hall from us -- the same ones who practically choked us with their secondhand smoke a while back, and who used to engage in plainly audible screaming matches late at night (ugh) moved out over the Easter long weekend!! Their unit is (still) for sale. (Dh thinks they might have been renting.) (Anyone want to be my neighbour??)  Now we just have to put up with the thump-thump-thump coming from the people directly above us. :p  (We think they must have a couple of kids running around to create that kind of noise -- who else has that kind of energy, right?)

Preparing: For Younger Nephew's wedding, coming up shortly...!! :)  (I've been saying "shortly" for a while now, haven't I?  But it's definitely happening sooner than later...!)  

Feeling:  Fed up with the ongoing chilly, grey weather (enough, already!!). Excited about Younger Nephew's upcoming wedding. :)     

2 comments:

  1. We're going to see Come From Away this summer too! I'm really looking forward to it. I am a sucker for musicals.

    My hold on Fire and Fury just came in at the library (along with several others) so I will be reading it too soon. The Renzetti and Orenstein look interesting. I like both of them.

    It snowed here today. Not impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your neighbour? Me, please!!

    Do report back on the eyebrow progress, won't you? Mine are ... well ... pathetic!

    So glad you bought the dress. The colour and style is gorgeous. (We could have fancy cocktails when we move in next door, and you could wear it! lol)

    ReplyDelete